Women with menstrual or perimenopausal symptoms can relieve common physical and psychological issues through cold water swimming, a new study finds.
- Symptoms of menstrual cycles and perimenopause vary widely but frequently include mood swings, anxiety, depression, fatigue, hot flashes, and sleep disturbances.
- This is the first investigation of whether cold water swimming has an impact on these symptoms.
- Researchers conducted a 42-question online survey of 1114 women who were regularly swam in cold water. More than two thirds of respondents (68.1%) were between 45 and 59 years of age.
- Some of the data included responses by women who were perimenopausal but still had menstrual symptoms.
- Researchers found that cold water swimming had multiple beneficial effects on both menstrual and perimenopausal symptoms.
- Women who swam more frequently and for longer reported more beneficial effects than women who swam less often or for less time per swim.
- Reduction of psychological and vasomotor symptoms were most often cited by cold-water swimmers.
- Perimenopausal women who swam regularly in winter and summer saw greater reduction in anxiety and hot flashes than did those who swam in the other seasons.
“Teaching women to swim safely and encouraging them to swim regularly may have a benefit on the debilitating symptoms associated with the perimenopause,” the authors wrote.
The study was conducted by researchers from University College, London, and published online in Post Reproductive Health. The corresponding author is Joyce Harper, PhD, professor of reproductive science at EGA Institute for Women’s Health, University College London, England.
This was an observational study, with no control group. The underlying cause of improved psychological symptoms of perimenopause were not fully evaluated owing to unaccounted multiple variables. Use of an online survey may introduce sampling bias and not align with the population of all menstruating or perimenopausal women. Participants were primarily White and highly educated.
Harper disclosed giving paid talks on menopause to businesses and at conferences.
Source link : https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/cold-water-swimming-eased-menstrual-perimenopause-symptoms-2024a100026s?src=rss
Publish date : 2024-01-31 17:37:22
Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source.